Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Cold wind, heavy books and rambling professors

Like the title? I spent a lot of time on that, you better :P

Considering I haven't spent much time telling you about the actual school, I figured now would be a good time to rewind to my first day of semester classes. Or more accurately, my first day in class, ever. No pressure, eh?

Well, nervousness was a flattering term for the way my stomach felt pulling into the parking lot that first day. Naturally, we had overestimated and got there 30 minutes early. (Yes, we. I'll tell you about my twin sister later.)

Knees were knocking, hands were shaking, hearts were pounding... I'm sure we looked quite interesting to the other students as they ambled to class.

We walked in - after nearly not finding our room number, of course - to a stark white room filled with about thirty desks, five or so early arrivals, and a bald, older professor. Dr. Clark (of course that's not his real name, I'm not a total idiot ^^) was pacing in front and chatting with students while writing the agenda for the class.

We were a bit mistaken, however, in that we innocent, unjaded, wide-eyed homeschoolers had actually expected to learn American History, not "whatever Dr. Clark has in mind, forget the agenda."

Alas, his bumper stickers posted on the wall and in-class comments soon proved him to be one of those dreaded "liberal professors", though he wasn't nearly as fearsome as expected.
I mean, you didn't really have to listen anyway, and he was a rather nice old chap, notwithstanding the "we are in Iraq for oil" offhand comment he made. Oh well.

By the end of that class, the butterflies had calmed down considerably, and more pressing matters became how to pay attention and more importantly, stay awake.

I know I'm getting boring, so I'll stop writing now. Perhaps an abridged version of the next classes is coming up next. =)

    No comments: